Friday, November 2, 2007

Preparing for Answered Prayer

A few weeks ago my bible study shared a story about preparing for answered prayer. The following comes from First Place Bible Study "Begin Again" pg.50

A pastor once told a story about his daughter and the time she came to him and asked him to build her a playhouse. He told his daughter he would build her playhouse later, but at the moment he had to study for his sermon. About an hour later, the pastor went out to find his daughter arranging her dolls and furniture in different places. When he inquired about her activity, she responded, "I'm getting ready for the playhouse you're going to build me." The young girl had been told by her father that he would build her playhouse, and because she had faith that he would keep his word, she began preparing for the time when he would do what he had promised. Our heavenly Father is even more faithful to His Word than any earthly father. He has promised to answer every prayer, and His promises are true.

I've been thinking a lot about prayer lately. In fact, It's also the topic of my next sermon, so I've been reading a lot too. I'm only 3 chapters into it, but if you are interested, Philip Yancy has a book out on Prayer and its really good.

Earlier this week, the folks awaiting accreditation on the FRUA message board were really getting down and depressed that another month had gone by with no news. It seemed that everyone was needing to reboot, including myself. I simply suggested that maybe all the waiters should do a two day prayer vigil focusing on adoption related issues. I think there was a general feeling of urgency because the latest delay had to do with the validity of a signature in the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (see previous posts). If that guy would just sign the papers, things would get moving along again!

To make a long story short, everyone seemed to like the idea of the prayer vigil, and people signed up to take a one hour slot to specifically pray. Some even had their family and friends involved. People were writing in how they felt the Spirit moving, how they felt uplifted, how they finally had a sense of hope about adoption again. Then, about 36 hours later there was a post indicating that our prayers had been answered- at least partially regarding the needed signature. Everyone was praising God and expressing their gratitude for answered prayer.

Even though I started the prayer vigil, I've been slow to join in the excitement. I'm cautious and hopeful, because it means there is movement- even if its inching along. But I don't want to really celebrate until our agency has their certificate in hand, or near in hand. I did however have a pedicure yesterday- a gift from one of my congregants for pastor appreciation month. I chose a color from the new OPI Russian line- its called Vodka & Caviar. I'm preparing for answered prayer- and a celebration to follow- in my own way, starting with my feet. I'm the only one who can see them just yet, but I had the cosmetologist put a champagne glass with tiny bubbles on both big toes too. Once the news is real and concrete, my eyes and my smile will tell the news.

God has been answering my prayers in other ways too and for that I am grateful. Our God is an awesome God!

No comments: