Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Miracles and Blessings

Before I say anything else, I must thank my Lord and Savior for the abundant miracles and blessings he has showered upon me and my family. Without faith in Him, there would have been no hope in seeing our adoption miracle take place. So, thank you Jesus for your precious gifts, and thank you for the people you have put in our lives to encourage and lead us through this journey.


I am writing from our lovely hotel room, with my son sleeping soundly in the next room! We were here in Russia just two weeks ago when we went to court and received the wonderful news that we were named as parents to our son Zachary. Here we are celebrating with our friends after court:

Soon after court,we came back home, made the final preparations, and spent 10 days working and getting organized for the arrival of our son. We made our third trip across the Atlantic on Monday.

Today we went to the registration office to get the birth certificate, then to the passport agency to see about a new passport for our son. Normally we were told this process takes a whole week to accomplish, but to our amazement, it was done in one day! We were told that our application for the passport was the last one they would take, as the office itself is moving to another location and will be closed tomorrow and for the next 10 days! If we wouldn't have received the passport today, we would have had extra days in Kaluga and a delayed trip home. But now, we will be able to go to Moscow tomorrow, and home in the USA for good on July 1. Its not the greatest photo of any of us, but here is a picture of our new family:


It has been a whirlwind day! We picked up our son at the baby home about noon. He was in good spirits, but had just come from being put down for a nap so he was very tired and bewhildered as to why we were changing his clothes and taking him in a strange car and going somewhere he had never been before. His eyes were huge as we drive through the city streets. One at our hotel, we tried to get him back to sleep, but it was too much. He wanted to explore everything!

After getting a little lunch, our translator and I went to see about getting a few souveniers. Mom, Granny T and Mom L- I hope we did okay on what we found for you! After the souvenier shop, I relieved Jason for a time from watching the baby while he went with the driver, translator and facilitator to pick up the passport after it was completed. When they came back, we all walked about 6 blocks to get some baby food and diapers. We thought having a stroller would make it a breeze, but the sidewalks in this town are just smaller versions of the potholes in the streets. It was definately rough. We were quite surprized Zachary didn't get sick from all the jostling around!

Once back in the hotel, Zachary ate some porridge and juice. That was a mistake- the juice I mean. You should have seen that kid run about 10 minutes after he drank it. He just laughed to himself running from room to room! That was at the time he NORMALLY goes to bed. We spent the next couple of hours waiting for the sugar buzz to wear off, entertaining him, and witnessing his temper come out. We actually saw him stomp his foot when he didn't get his way. That and he engaged in a YES NO battle with his papa over the internet connection cord that was so entertaining. Distraction helped for a while, but when nothing seemed to make him happy I managed to jiggle and rock him to sleep- but my arm muscles are now shaking from the fatigue. I'm such a wimp!

Tomorrow we go to Moscow. We will be in one hotel Wednesday night, and then in a different hotel the next few nights. I don't know the particulars. Hopefully it won't be out in the sticks! On the other hand, hopefully it won't cost us an arm and leg either. Thank you Auntie J for working out our flights for us! We are thrilled, and amazed that you could help us in such a short amount of time.

We'll write more soon if we can. We don't know what kind of internet connection we can get in the hotels. Wish us luck!

9 comments:

Tara said...

A big congratulations on your new family. We are so thrilled for you both! Your son is just wonderful and we are so blessed to have met you on this journey. Zachary is so cute and we will certainly be following you along once you are home.

I hope that Moscow is great and that you guys have a terrific time there and that your flight home is safe and uneventful! We are to meet you downstairs in just one hour. I cannot believe we are leaving so early.

See you on the van!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I'm so glad you finally have Zachary! I've checked your blog so many times for updates and am so happy to finally see this one! I hope your first night as a family goes well and look forward to continuing to follow your journey!

Anonymous said...

Praise God and Halleluia!! Welcome to our family Zachary!!! We love you so much.
XOXOXOXO
Auntie Ginger

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your shorter trip. have a great time with Zachary!!! We can't wait to meet your new family.
becky and john

Angie and Curt said...

I am so tremendously happy for you. I cried when I read that he was sleeping in the next room. Good luck to you.
Angie

Tiger & Kar said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What an amazing, miraculous journey you have taken. I couldn't be happier for all 3 of you. I hope your return to Moscow and then the US is nothing but fantastic!

Karyn

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

Congratulations! I have been chcking your blog for more details. I'm so glad to see that your family is complete. Good luck! Enjoy your time together, you have waited long enough for these days!

Becky and Keith said...

CONGRATS Heather and Jason (and Zachary too!) I'm so excited for all of you and hope we can get together while you're in Moscow! What are you guys doing Saturday? Email me when you have a chance (IF you have a chance!) :-)

Nicole said...

Congrats on your beautiful family! We are all so glad to hear of such a happy ending! Our thoughts and prayers are with you on the last leg of your journey home!
Nicole