Zach has grown up a lot in the last couple of weeks. He turned 21 months old on Sunday. We've had a little bit of a learning explosion with many new words, a calmer look on his face, and even some added height. On Tuesday he had his well baby check-up. Apparently I missed it at 18 months- probably got lost in the shuffle of other pressing business at work that needed my attention. In any case, Zachary is now 33 inches tall and weighs 28.8 pounds. He's a hefty little guy! His body has gotten longer, but his legs aren't really much taller yet- still wearing 18 months pants (if they have big enough girth for the pot-belly)
Poor Zachary had 4 shots again to get him all caught up for his age compared to other american children. He was shaking like a leaf as we laid him on the exam table for the two nurses to give the simultaneous vaccines- two in each thigh. He did really well after they gave him a sweet-tart sucker to distract him!
In other news, last week he cut his two lower incisors. This week he's cutting both lower canines. Is he cranky? YES. Is it as bad as it could be? Thankfully NO. My kid is pretty good as far as pain goes. But silly me didn't understand what was causing the cranky clingy whiney baby right away. Not even when he woke up this moring pointing to his chin and trying to say something. Only when I laid him on his back to cradle him in a fit did I see the canines popping up under the gums. DUH! No wonder he was crabby. I quickly asked him "Do your teeth hurt?" using words and sign language for "It hurts" and he very clearly told me "DA!" and nodded his head unmistakeably! Poor child has had little or no patience the last few days and has had trouble sleeping - no wonder. I guess I figured the canines wouldn't come so soon after the other teeth- it really has been almost non-stop since we've been home that he's gotten new teeth.
We had the local early childhood specialists come to our home and evaluate Zachary for delays. From what they could tell, he is really pretty much on target for his age range doing things that are normal for 16-22 month olds. This was good news because I thought he'd be off the charts for sensory issues since he is SO PHYSICAL and RAMBUNCTIOUS. But the OT said he's pretty average so I just need to provide more outlets for him to be physically active. Speechwise he has mild delay, but that's expected due to the language changes hes experienced. We've planned to have them visit once a month for 3 months just to kindof keep an eye on things in Zachary's development, and also provide some support and help for me in continuing our adjustment and learning together.
Our family celebrated Z turning 21 months old Sunday by going on a family bike ride to a trail nearby. We recently received a baby bike trailer from some pastor friends who chipped in to get us a used one from Lake Itasca. It worked great and rode like a dream. Zach liked the ride, but didn't much care for being strapped in or confined. Same issue with the high chair, car seat and pak & play. Here are a few photos from our adventures.
Here in beautiful rural Iowa, the trees are changing and crops being harvested (except now we've had lots of rain so the farmers are slowed WAY down or stopped to dry out). I love taking Zachary for a walk on nice days and crunching our way down the side walk through the falling leaves. I keep trying to figure out a craft we could do with them, but so far, nothing I can think of that would capture his attention span that long. Hed rather be ripping the leaves apart than gluing them to some paper.

4 comments:
You are such a great mom! What an inspiration.
It sounds like Zachary is doing really well with growing and development. The pictures are very cute!
I hope you are enjoying staying home with him. By the way, I like your new blog design!
The bike ride looks fun, fun, fun!! I'm glad Zachary is right on target and growing so well! I've heard MOPS is really nice too! I like your new header photo also!
I have so enjoyed reading your blog!
Congrats on motherhood, sounds like you are settling in PERFECTLY. I can't wait to go to MOPS too someday : )Blessings,
Sandy
Post a Comment