Monday, December 22, 2008

Fun in the Snow

We've had a bit of a cold snap here in Iowa this week. With ice, wind and snow, its been a little frigid. I've not wanted to bundle Zachary up too badly to get some much needed excersize and fresh air, but there are only so many days we can stand being cooped up in the house wandering from room to room looking for something new to entertain each other with. I've had about enough of ELMO to fill a lifetime!


So, even though it's been cold-currently a mere 11 degrees F, today I finally decided to don the ill-fitting thermal skins and get out in the fresh air with my boy. He loves being outside! He loves snow, although he isnt quite sure yet what to do with all of it, and how to play IN it. I've been stalling a little in that department for various reasons, but one of which is the new sled we heard that Santa is giving to Zachary. The little elves at Cabelas talked Jason into bringing it home for Santa so he would have more room in his sleigh for smaller toys. The other reason is due to my above mentioned ill-fitting thermal skins and lack of snow pants. The last thing I want to do is roll around in the snow in ice covered jeans. UFFDA!

So anyway, we did have a little fun crunching through the snow in our yard. We stoped near the ally behind our house and found some cute bunny tracks. Zach loves rabbits because they hop hop hop! So I took a moment to teach him about the various tracks we could see- Bunnies, Mommys shoes, Zachary's shoes, and many tiny little birds. It was precious hearing him say hop, hop, hop and following the tracks through the snow. Before we came inside, I laid him in the snow and waved his arms and legs through it to make an angel. He thought that was pretty fun judging by the smile I saw on his big rosy cheeks.

Since it was time for a nice bottle of warm milk and a nap, we came inside. But after Zachary fell asleep, I went back to the tracks to take a few pictures for our scrapbook (yah, the one I haven't started yet!) I couldn't quite get the lighting right for the depth and texture to come though so I did a photo enhancement using the watercolor filter in my photo program. I think they look like they were taken on the moon! Here are Zachary's prints.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

REALLY COOL! I wish we had some snow here... we just have the same 11 degrees with grass. Isaac would have loved to play with Zachary today!
Miss you!
xoxo
Ginger

Anonymous said...

i love the pictures! it is going to be a white Christmas.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Becky M