Friday, July 18, 2008

Swimming

Zachary and I had fun this morning bonding at the motel pool where Grandma L works. Thanks to her, we could use her pool priveledges for a little while. We had great fun, he wasn't scared, although a little cautious and chilly. Being in a pool isn't quite as warm as the bathtub so he wasn't too sure initially how far in he wanted to go.
We tried the deep end here which is only 5 feet deep. He liked it, but again, the colder water on his back and stomach was a little harder to get used to. Mom thought it was chilly too!


Any time he looked a little overwhelmed by the water I sat him on the edge of the pool and waited for his signal that he was ready for more. At one point I thought he'd just jump in on his own! He really liked it!
What was the greatest fun here was the big pink noodle floaty toy that he enjoyed wapping in the water and making a splash. No photos of it, but towards the end he was trying to straddle it and understand that it was helping him float a little. All in all, our first time actually swimming in a big pool lasted about 1/2 hour. I thought that was great for a first try, and he didn't even do the typical toddler tantrum after being "all done."

After swimming we went to a restaurant with grandma for lunch. He did very well there also. I was surprized. I think he was just busy taking it all in. Thankfully it wasn't too crowded or noisey. He fell asleep on the way home, so here I am quickly trying to get these pictures downloaded so I can go get some other stuff done while he sleeps. I'm looking forward to trying swimming again to see how he reacts the next time. The hardest part of all of it was getting dressed and underssed in the bathroom with a slippery floor and toddler, being fast, not letting our stuff get wet on the floor, and drying off enough to get the streeet clothes back on again. That and handleing the diaper bag, wet clothes, purse, and child. My arms are definately getting stronger daily!

2 comments:

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

It's great that he is enjoying the pool so much! That will be a good bonding activity for you all where he has to rely on you! It's so good to see the pictures of you all with him!

Becky and Keith said...

Sounds like you might wind up with a little fishy on your hands! I know what you mean about the wet floors - I thought we were all going to wipe out at some point! He sure is quite the cutie!