Sunday, September 14, 2008

Decisions, decisions...

After a month and a half trying to juggle being a full-time Pastor and a full-time Mom- trying to give +110% to both, I've come to understand I am not going to be SUPERMOM and SUPERPASTOR. Anyone out there remember the commercial from the 70's and 80's for the perfume Enjoli? A woman sings "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in the pan, and make you never forget your a man, cuz I'm a woman...Enjoli" This mindset is a reflection of what women today have come to believe- that not only CAN they have it all, do it all and be it all, but they are EXPECTED to.

I applaud all women who work and raise a family- either by choice or necessity. It is TOUGH WORK and I've only experienced it for 6 weeks. But I also applaud the women these days that are going against the grain of our modern society and sacrificing thier career and financial freedom to be at home with thier kids. Either way, the work is difficult, the difference being the challenges they face.

With all that and more in mind, I've decided to resign from my position as associate pastor in order to be a stay at home mom. I don't know what that is going to look like, or how it will be to actually live it, whether we can get by financially or not, but I think this is the best decision for us right now. So starting October 1st, I'll be embarking on a new adventure as a SAHM (Stay at Home MOM)

Every day I feel more confident that this decision is the right one for both of us. I need this time to attach to him, and him to me. He is getting older and smarter by the minute, and Im never going to get this time back. I don't want to wake up some day and regret that I didn't spend enough time with him.

My resignation is bittersweet. I have many fond memories, and a congregation FULL of fantastic people that I will miss seeing regularly. But I also have a beautiful son that needs me, and this is the calling I've been given- to be his Mama.

5 comments:

Over-Caffeinated said...

Congratulations Heather! I don't think it's a decision you will ever regret. There may be days when you wish you were somewhere (anywhere) besides knee deep in toddler-hood, but the time goes by very quickly and you'll look back and cherish every day. I always think that I won't care 20 years from now what kind of car I drive right now, but I will have a ton of memories of my kiddos that will carry me through when they start to leave the nest (I hope!:)

ana said...

I'm staying at home with Eli. Being home has its own set of challenges, but it's so worth it to be able to share this time with him. It has definitely helped with our attachment. Hope the transition to SAHM goes smoothly for you.

Carol said...

I hear you Heather, I am struggling with this too, right now my job is so flexible that I can work from home and take him with me, so I do. We are trying to figure out the next steps, but daycare full time is not for me and definately not for Phillip. I look forward to reading the details of SAHMhood. Congratulations and good luck.
Carol

Becky and Keith said...

Congratulations on your decision to stay home! I agree with the others - it is the most difficult job you will ever have (if my 2 months home was any indication!) but it will be the most rewarding!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... just rest in this, Heather...
Luke 12:22 Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 23Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. 24Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! 25Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[b]? 26Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
27"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!

{Hugs} God will work the finances out! :o)
Cyndi