In my previous post I mentioned how Zachary hasn't regected me for the lack of time I've spent with him this past week.
Saturday morning came and Z was like a tornado running around tearing through the house with his arms slapping everything in sight. And because I wasn't doing what he wanted at any given moment, I got it in the face numerous times. Scratching, clawing, pulling, smacking- I felt almost like a battered woman. To make it worse, he even grabbed our dogs beard with both hands full of fur and pulled as hard as he could and wouldn't let go. Thankfully the dog was so shocked, he didn't retaliate, but I wouldn't have been surprized if he had. Z was downright MEAN- and laughing about it. I'd tell him no, but he'd just laugh/hit all the more. Putting him in the ergo carrier facing me put me right in the line of fire. Its really hard to stay calm when this happens! In the end I had to put him in his crib for a 5 minute mommy time out so I could vent to my yahoo group.
I know he was mad at me for all the lack of face time I've had with him this week. I was mad about it too. And then mad that I couldn't do anything about it or make him stop hitting. It was a TOUGH morning! Not the least of which were the angry and hurt feelings I had at taking the brunt of it. Those feelings pretty much wounded me for the rest of the day.
Its kindof like the feeling after you have an argument with your spouse or someone whom you love (minus the physical battering). It takes a while to reset your perspective, and you realize just how vulnerable and fragile the relationship is- and how much you've taken for granted. Jason and I sat up for a good hour talking about it at the end of the day.
Thankfully, sleeping on it put a little distance on the hurt and we all woke up to a new day with new possibilities. Zachary was much more amiable all day. Having BOTH his parents most of the day probably helped a lot. So there you go, I should have known better. I will prepare myself for it next time and maybe that will make it easier to handle.
Winter 2013-2014
12 years ago

2 comments:
Mommy time outs are SO important otherwise we go crazy. I'm so glad things got better on Sunday. Just think - there is light at the end of the tunnel! Only one more week of work!
I hope things have gone better this week. It does sound like that little Mommy break helped. I know you will be glad to have more time with him in the very near future. I know it will be a bittersweet change, but I'm sure you are loving the chance to be with Z a lot more. Hope you have a good weekend!
Post a Comment